Minutes February.17.2018

The South Cariboo Farmers’ Market Society’s Board of Directors Meeting

February 17,2018

Location: Jackson’s Social Club and Brewhouse 175 Cariboo Highway 97, 100 Mile house, BC

Attendance: Robin Hunt, Johan Bos, Bonnie Reith, Ron Conway, Laura Markila, Thorsten Wetzig, Howie McMillan

Call to order: 10:01 AM

Motion: to have an introduction circle about who we are and why we are here. All in favour

Motion: to create an agenda in the absence of one for our first meeting. All in favour

Agenda: *Signage/Banners around town *Marketing/Advertising

*Outside vendors bringing in food that is locally produced *BCFMA AGM and Conference and who’s going
* Surveys at market and market booth for SCFM *Website and logo

* Social Media presence
*Sit clean up/painting/etc.
*Photograph and write ups on board members

All in favour

Motion: to have monthly board meetings every 3rd Saturday of the month at 10am for 1.5-2hrs at either the library or Jackson’s Social Club and Brew house

All in favour

Motion: To pursue a banner at a cost of $185.00 plus tax to be designed by Johan, printed at Heritage Sign Works, erected at Finlay Meats. Sign to read: “South Cariboo Farmers Market, May-September, 9am-2pm every Friday” Bonnie to deal with Finlays. Bonnie to put up/take down weekly during market season. Robin to speak to Heritage Sign Works.

All in favour

Motion: To replace the large sign behind the Red Coach with one of plastic and aluminum at a cost of $400.00 plus tax. Johan to design in blue with simple graphics similar to Hwy signs. Laura offered to speak with Don Saverde from Bridge Creek Estates about new signage and replacing old sign. Robin to speak to Heritage sign works regarding ordering sign.

All in favour

Motion: To pursue signage at the south end of town on private property. Laura to contact the owners of the Old Scott property. Sign to be similar to the large sign at the north end of town.
All in favour

Motion: To pursue signage at Canim-Hendrix Rd. All in favour

Motion: To pursue signage at the 100 Mile Community Hall to read: “Home of the South Cariboo Farmers Market”. Robin to speak to Wanda
All in favour

Motion: To speak to Wanda of the 100 Mile Community Club about lighting in the hall and the lack of hand towels and toilet paper on market days. Robin to speak to Wanda.
All in favour

Motion: To postpone discussion of a market booth and surveys to the next meeting. All in favour

Motion: To pay for either Robin or Laura or both to attend the BCAFM conference. All in favour

Motion: To not change our market rule regarding out of area vendors selling produce currently harvested in our area.

All in favour

Motion: To have Johan take over design and management of the website, to add photos and write up on each board member, to add a splash page for the minutes as they’re approved.
All in favour

Motion: For Robin to improve our social media presence on Facebook, Instagram and What’s On Cariboo – including advertising.
All in favour

Meeting adjourned at 12:04 PM

Notes start here

 

 Directors chose to do an introduction circle about who we are and why we’re here

Robin: passionate about local food and food security, supporting the local economy, and growing the farmers market

 

Bonnie: here to support the market and vendors, two-way communication between Board and vendors, Vendor input to guide Board decision-making.

 

Howie: passionate about local food economy, resource based economy. Has experience on a number of Boards, including former Manager with Chamber of Commerce, focus on local food production and Market growth

 

Thorsten: demand for local food is growing but feels there is not enough at market, local and global problems seen in the world regarding food, has read a lot up on permaculture, sees the vision and wants to build a farm of his own

 

Ron: sells at 3 different markets, cares about food security and wants to grow the market, has been on the board for many years, is looking forward to working in this group to focus on making the market a success.

 

Laura: likes being part of the market because of her relationship with the vendors and community, feels like they’re a part of her family, cares about local food production, farming, etc. Looking forward to growing her own market garden this year.

 

Johan: first time on a board and interested in being a part of it, sees lots of opportunity here, feels 100 Mile has good visions and opportunities he’d like to help grow. Sees future visions for the market and is interested in contributing his skills towards the website and advertising.

 

Board decided to bring together things to address for an Agenda to meet on, they included:

*Signage/Banners around town *Marketing/Advertising

*Outside vendors bringing in food that is locally produced

*BCFMA AGM and Conference and who’s going

* Surveys at market and market booth for SCFM

*Website and logo * Social Media presence *Sit clean up/painting/etc.

*Photograph and write ups on board members

Firstly the board would like to make a plan to have monthly board meetings every 3rd Saturday of the month at 10am for 1.5-2hrs at either the library or Jackson’s Social Club and Brew house – All in agreement

Sign and Banners around town:

Findlay Meats Banner:

Banner discussed to be put up at Findlay Meats, needs to be made and put up before and taken down after market. Need to ask if Findlay’s is still open to this as it was discussed with the previous board and when we’d be allowed to put up/take down the banner. Bonnie has offered to speak with Findlay’s about this and if it’s a go do the work of putting up and taking done during the market season. Regarding the banner Ron spoke of a quote for a 2ftx10ft double-sided banner printed by Heritage Sign works for $185 plus tax. Board spoke of need to recheck dimensions/size before going ahead with said size. Banner would say: South Cariboo Farmers Market, May-September, 9am-2pm every Friday. Johan would make up the graphics for the sign and Robin would speak to Heritage Sign Works for ordering said Banner if all is a go with Findlay’s. – All in agreement.

Large Sign behind Red Coach Inn (Bridge Creek Estates Property):

Board spoke of need for an updated sign in place of old weathered sign. Ron spoke of quote for new sign by Heritage Sign Works, 1st quote was for Solid plastic core with aluminum for $400 plus tax and 2nd quote for a coroplast sign for $275 plus tax. Board was in agreement that the solid plastic sign for $400 would be a longer-term investment due to its durability vs. coroplast. Laura offered to speak with Don Saverde from Bridge Creek Estates about new signage and replacing old sign. Robin to speak to Heritage sign works regarding ordering sign, Johan to design signage. Board spoke of doing a simple white and blue sign similar to department of highway signs to catch people attention, especially tourists seeing this is what they’d be looking for while traveling. – All in agreement

 

New Signage at south end of town and Canim-Hendrix Road

To attract people coming into town on either end. Suggestion of Old Scott property at south end of town, Laura offered to look into possibility. Robin suggested signage on a couple properties just before town and will look into possibilities. Similar signage to Bridge Creek Estates property with blue and white dept. of highway signage, ideally reflective- All in agreement

 

Signage at the 100 Mile Community Hall

Signage has been brought up by a number of vendors at the community hall grounds. Board spoke about signage above the doorways. Need to contact Wanda from 100 Mile Community Hall regarding signage, also looking to speak to Wanda about extra supply of toilet paper and hand towels for the bathrooms as we seem to run out at market, and more lighting inside the hall. Also spoke of who owns the building in regards to placing signage. Would like to do a simple sign saying: “Home of the South Cariboo Farmers Market”. Robin has offered to go to the community hall AGM on Feb 19th to address concerns and speak to Wanda. -All in agreement

 

Market Surveys:

Board spoke about the interest to survey the general public at the markets to retain more information regarding how people heard about the market, what they may like to see at market, if people were able to find the market ok, what time do they come to the market, etc. To ascertain which advertising provides most bang for buck –Add to agenda for next meeting

 

SCFM Booth:

Ideas to have a small market booth with information pamphlets about our market the BCFM, local food, vendors, vendor sign up, etc. Somewhere the farmer’s market manager and volunteers can be at to share information, answer questions and take or offer surveys. –Add to agenda for the next meeting.

BCFMA AGM Mar.2-4 in Victoria:

 Board directors spoke about who could attend. Though there is interest in sending a representative, either Robin or Laura are needing to rearrange schedules to facilitate – All in agreement

 Outside vendors bringing in food that is already locally produced:

 Board spoke about what would it entail if we allowed vendors outside our area to bring in produce already sold within our region by local vendors. Some concerns brought up were if we were to allow outside vendors to bring in produce already sold by local vendors it would set a precedence for more outside vendors to start bringing in more and more produce that is currently grown causing a flooding of the market. Seeing this would deter local vendors to grow what is already flooding the market it could possibly stop local food production from growing more. As the goal of our Farmers Market is to provide opportunities for local farmers to grow and develop within our region and in the interest of local food security we agreed to keep the status quo. Decision was made to keep the rules as they currently are with outside vendors allowed to bring in locally produced food until it conflicts with our abilities. The Market Manager will need to be aware of what produce is available, and notify out of towners -All in agreement

Website/Content:

 Discussion was made on the need for more content, a more workable logo, more photos and content. Johan has offered to take over the website and put some more work into it. Each Board member would have a little blurb and photo. It was suggested that we could also provide Board meeting minutes to this to improve connections/accountability – All in agreement

Workshops & Events: Discussion on utilizing the hall better, drawing people in, newspaper photo ops, activities, etc. We would like to explore this further. -Add to agenda for next meeting.

Social Media Presence:

Board spoke about social media presence on Facebook, Instagram and What’s On Cariboo. Would like to put more work and energy into advertising in these spaces to grow the market’s reach and that it is a low cost investment for the market. Robin has offered to take over working on these marketing spaces. – All in favour

 

Meeting adjourned at 12:04pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *